THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. THIS MEANS THAT, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, I MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU CLICK THROUGH AND MAKE A PURCHASE. PLEASE READ MY FULL DISCLOSURE HERE.
Wonderfully Comforting Beef Barley Soup
I’ve been trying to work out a better way to feed the family given that our diets are quite different. I have a diet specific to my kidney requirements, my husband needs a low-fat diet, and the children need a well-rounded diet. Barley has been one of my go-to ingredients as of recently because it meets all of our needs. I prepared this wonderfully comforting beef barley soup in the instant pot last night and it was beautiful!
This beef barley soup was served up with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread rolls, which just really hit the spot.
- Instant Pot Shepherd’s Pie with Cauliflower Mash Topping
- Instant Pot Pork Chops
- Chicken Chili Cornbread Pie
This beef barley soup was really easy to make – seriously. I started off with a pound of stewing beef, trimmed the fat, cut it up into 1/2 inch thick chunks, and seasoned it with salt and pepper. Select the Saute function of your Instant Pot and add the olive oil. Leave it to heat for a minute and then add the beef until it has browned.
Using my pressure cooker has not only helped with my daily routine – practically giving me at least an hour a day back; but it has also helped with saving money. Cooking with this allows you to use the toughest and cheapest cuts of meat and still gives you to most tender and juicy meal in return. It also cuts down on electricity usage – winner!
While the beef cooks, begin chopping up the veggies. Try to keep them all roughly around the same size.
These carrots were grown in our garden. My husband has been playing around in nature hoping to nurture an edible garden. He’s so patient with it!
When the beef has browned, throw in the veggies, onions, garlic, and mixed herbs. Leave it to saute for a minute or two, then add the beef broth and tomato paste. Stir to combine and then add the the pearl barley over the mixture.
Put the lid on with the vent set to seal. Press the Manual function and set to 10 minutes on High pressure. When done, leave the pressure to release itself naturally. This will take around 20 minutes.
When all the pressure has released naturally, slowly remove the lid. It will look like it’s all clumped up together – but I promise, it hasn’t! Give it a mix and you will see all the flavorful broth is still there!
Did you know that barley has many amazing health benefits? True story! Check this out.
Ready to prepare dinner? Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup with Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb Stewing Beef - cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 White Onion - Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic - Minced
- 2 Carrots - chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1 Red Capsicum - chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Pearl Barley
- 2 tsp Mixed Dry Herbs
- 200g Button mushrooms - Quartered
- Salt & Pepper - To taste
- Parmesan Cheese - Optional
- Season the stewing beef with salt and pepper.
- Select the saute function of your pressure cooker, and add olive oil. Wait for 1-minute and add beef. Saute the beef for 4-5 minutes, or until the beef has been seared.
- Add the onions, garlic, carrots, capsicum, mushrooms, and dried mixed herbs. Mix to combine and saute for 2-minutes.
- Cancel the saute function.
- Add the beef broth, tomato paste - mix.
- Add the pearl barley, spreading it around the pot.
- Put the lid on with the vent set to seal. Press the Manual function and set to 10 minutes on High pressure. When done, leave the pressure to release itself naturally. This will take around 20 minutes. (You can opt to do a quick release, but I feel that leaving it makes the beef more tender and the flavors strengthen.
- When done, take the lid off and mix the soup. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and your choice of bread.
- If you are in a hurry, you can opt to do a quick release; but I feel that leaving the pressure to release itself naturally makes the beef more tender and the flavors strengthen.