THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. THIS MEANS THAT, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, I MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU CLICK THROUGH AND MAKE A PURCHASE. PLEASE READ MY FULL DISCLOSURE HERE.
Whiskey in a Teacup
I was at the bookstore the other day when I came across Whiskey in a Teacup, penned by Reese Witherspoon. There’s something about Reese that I’ve always admired, though I can’t seem to put my finger on it. Perhaps I could start with these reasons. Whatever the reason, I picked her book up and flipped through it. Needless to say, I guffawed at first, thinking about all the celebrities who have written books sharing their -hmm… wise words, as they say. But, Reese being Reese, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. So I bought it 🙂
I came across her recipe for Corn Bread Chili Pie, which called for Ground Pork, Ground Beef, and a few other things I didn’t have in my pantry – so I went ahead and used my own recipe, adding the cornbread topping as her recipe suggests.
Oh my… loved it!
I always keep a couple of Jiffy’s in my pantry. It’s simple, filling, flavorful, and so easy to whip up. Apparently, aside from being deliciously simple, it also has quite a few benefits which if never really gave much thought to in the past.
My children don’t like cornbread. They don’t like the texture. But… they have to eat with Mom prepares, so no deal there. Haha!
I never really thought of serving Chili with cornbread before. I’ve tried topping it with mashed potatoes, as an alternative to your regular Cottage Pie. And I’ve also served it over baked potatoes, which is a treat. But cornbread… oooh. Quite a nice discovery for me!
I like to cook the ground chicken to a golden brown color. I feel that it really adds to the flavor of the chicken.
So this really came out very nicely. My husband and I both loved it – in spite of the children loudly wishing it was mashed potatoes.
I also topped the cornbread with some cheese before popping it into the oven. No complaints here!
I’ll just leave these here for a minute… have a look…
Every mouthful was just gorgeous!
Ready to prepare dinner? Chicken Cornbread Chili Pie
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. Ground Chicken
- 1 Can Chili Beans (120g)
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 (8.5 oz.) Box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 Whole Egg
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn, divided (2/3 + 1/3 cup)
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese (Cheddar)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt & Pepper, to season
- Sourcream (Optional, to serve)
- Guacamole (Optional, to serve)
- Pico de gallo (Optional, to serve)
Cook the Chili
- Preheat the oven to 375°F / 190°C
- In a heavy pan, heat the olive oil, and add the onions. Sauté for a minute and add the garlic. Sauté until fragrant and add the ground chicken. Breaking up the chicken with a wooden spoon, and cook until the chicken is brown and slightly toasted.
- Stir in the cumin, chili, and tomato paste. Continue to mix over medium heat for another minute. Pour in the chicken broth and mix, reducing the heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick.
Prepare the Cornbread
- In a separate mixing bowl, prepare the corn bread by mixing the Jiffy Cornbread mix, egg, and milk.
- Mix in 2/3 cup of the frozen corn and the cheese. Set aside.
Assemble to Bake
- Mix in the remaining frozen corn into the chicken chili.
- Transfer the chili into a baking dish.
- Pour the cornbread batter over the chicken chili.
- Bake 25-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the batter comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, allowing it to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a side salad and top with your favorites such as sour cream, guacamole, and pico de gallo.
Shop for your needs
Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix (Pack of 12)
AmazonFresh Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1.5L
Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet 2-Piece Set