THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. THIS MEANS THAT, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, I MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU CLICK THROUGH AND MAKE A PURCHASE. PLEASE READ MY FULL DISCLOSURE HERE.
There are days when my anxiety gets the better of me, that I forget to love myself. I feel completely bogged down. When this happens, I hide away in my
bedroom cave, draw the curtains shut, cover my head with a pillow, and hide from the world. Yesterday was one of those days. Difficult. My mental health was severely unhealthy, and reminding myself about self love was pretty useless.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click through and make a purchase, I will get a commission which helps me to keep this blog up and running. Apart from the actual cost of the product, this comes at no additional cost to you – I promise. See my full disclosure HERE.
I sent a text to Wayne, my partner, and let him know how I was feeling.
It wasn’t long before my phone rang and I heard Wayne on the other side of it, asking what was wrong.
“Take it easy,” he said. “There’s nothing else you have to do today, than to look after yourself.”
Living with anxiety is not a choice
It’s not as simple as putting a bandage on a cut… or even a cast on a broken leg. It certainly is not as simple as saying, “I’ll snap out of it.” It goes against the popular saying – misery loves company – because in this instance, it really doesn’t.
It’s one of those diseases that people do not recognise as being legit – because it is unseen.
Yes, I purposely used the word disease here, because I think it is one. Our beautiful world and its people are plagued with so many mental health issues which, because they are unseen, are not given the same level of concern or urgency in treatment.
Because of the stigma attached to mental health illnesses, people suffering from it are less likely to seek support or treatment.
- Surviving Suicide: How to Support a Loved One Who is Surviving Suicide
- 15 Inspirational Quotes for When Life Sucks
- How To Be Happy: 3 Simple Secrets
I thought about how lucky I am
So I did what Wayne said I should do… take it easy.
I allowed myself to sink into the bed and drift off to escape for a moment. When I woke, I pushed myself out of bed, got into the shower, got changed, and took the dog out for a walk.
As I looked around and took my surroundings in, I thought about how lucky I am.
3 Things That Make Me the Luckiest Person in the World
1. An amazing and supportive partner
Wayne is such a gorgeous man. His amazing heart reaches out to me and envelopes me in a warm embrace every single day. I can’t thank God and my lucky stars enough for bringing us together.
2. Gorgeous children
The children drive me crazy. They really, really do. For the most part however, I look at them with wonder and cannot help but smile with pride when I see them going about their day, navigating this crazy old world that has taken them in.
3. An environment like no other
Have you been to New Zealand? If you haven’t yet – then you should definitely put it in your bucket list. Everywhere you look is a breathe of fresh air and hope.
So when all is said and done, we need to look after ourselves – love ourselves. Before it all gets too much, make sure you set some time aside for yourself to recoup and re-energise. We owe it to ourselves.
Need some suggestions on how to do this? Here you go…
20 Simple but Effective Self Love Tips
- Get up in the morning and shower. Water is a healing element. Let it cleanse and refresh you.
- Keep hydrated! Drink lots of fluids.
- Make a cup of tea and feel the warmth soothe you. Herbal teas can do wonders for you. Imagine how cute it would be just sitting and looking at this ♥
- Go for a walk. If you have a dog, take him or her with you. My dog and I do this a lot.
- Go to the local pools for a swim. Or do some aqua jogging – I love it. Easy on your joints ie, no crazy pounding on hard concrete. Like I said before… water is a healing element.
- Do a craft. For yourself – not for anyone else. Creating a piece of art has many benefits for our mental health. It doesn’t need to be a Van Gogh to ease your anxieties… you might do well with one of these – Lol!
- Do yoga. Breathing alone does many wonders for you.
- Clean your room – make your bed and spray some of this. It’s so delicious and just calms your senses. I love it!
- Take a Technology Break – even if it’s just a for a day.
- Hop into the car and go for a drive.
- Take your bra off – seriously!! (nod with me… go ahead)
- Practice a random act of kindness ♥
- Learn a new skill or take up a new hobby
- Watch a TED Talk and get inspired
- Write – write anything! Start by making a list of the things you are thankful for.
- Plant something – and watch it grow through the weeks, months, and years to come.
- Say no. You need to.
- Go into your lounge, put your feet up and watch a movie. Do not allow any distractions from anybody. Put a DND sign if you have to.
- Or, invite some friends over to join you – order some pizza and watch some Netflix.
- Date yourself – because you’re worth it ♥
Click here to get your FREE 30 Day Love Yourself Challenge; or click on the image below.